Full name: Mashrafe Bin Mortaza Koushik
Birth Date: 5 October, 1983
Birth Place: Narail, Jessore
Playing role: Bowling All-rounder
Batting style: Right hand
Position: lower order
Bowling style: Right-arm fast medium
Spouse: Sumona Haque Shumi
Masrafe Mortaza is popularly known as “Narail Express” for his fast bowling with good line and length. He is also become very popular for his aggressive batting style. No Bangladeshi player could show such aggressiveness before him. He is very economical in his bowling and took a good number of wickets for his team. Although he is struggling against injury through his career and had to take surgery several times, he is still considering as the best pace bowler in Bangladesh.
Mashrafe made his Test debut against Zimbabwe on 8th November, 2001. He made his ODI debut against Zimbabwe on 23rd November, 2001. He was so talented that he made his Test debut without having any first class match experience. He showed his talent and very quickly wins the hearts of the whole country. He is the trump card for his captain in pace bowling. Usually he opens the bowling for his team. The major teams he played for are Bangladesh, Asia XI, Dhaka Gladiators, Khulna Division, and Kolkata Knight Riders.
Mashrafi Morteza was married in 2006 with Sumona Haque Shumi whom he met in Govt. Victoria College, Narail. They have a daughter now whose name is Humaira Mortaza.
Some stats about Mashrafe:
- Mashrafe was the highest wicket (49) taker in ODI cricket in 2006.
- In the year 2004, Bangladesh beat India with his all-rounding performance. He took two wickets, two catches and scored 31*. He was selected as man of the match.
- In 2007 world cup, Bangladesh beat India and Mashrafe took 4 wickets for 38 runs and became the man of the match.
- He is the only Bangladeshi player who smashed four consecutive sixes in ODI. He scored four successive sixes of Dinesh Mongia’s balls and scored 42 off 22 balls though they lost the match by 46 runs.
- Despite playing at lower order he scored three half-centuries in Test and one half-century in ODI.
- He has also scored a century in first class match.
- In the history making match in Cardiff, Mashrafe did out Gilcrist with a duck at the beginning of the match.
- His innings best 6/26 is best for any Bangladeshi player in ODI.
- He led to win a match against Kenya by 43* when Bangladesh lost 7 wickets of 120 runs chasing 185 runs.
- He was also the vice –captain and later became the captain of Bangladesh team.
- He has the highest batting strike rate among any Bangladeshi player in Test (facing more than 1000 balls).
Sourav Ganguly said his team had lack of a player like Mashrafe. Though he has been going his entire career with injury, he is very inspiring person because he came back every time. His major injuries were in his ankle, knee and shoulder. He is still automatic choice for the team if he is fit for playing.